Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi everyone,

The period for name suggestions has ended, and we received many good submissions.  Thanks so much for all who submitted - naming is not an easy task given the research that has to be done, and your efforts are much appreciated.

Below is a list of all submissions that cleared TESS [1] searches, along with their meanings.  The spreadsheet I used to accumulate this information may also be viewed here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html [2]

The list is ordered alphabetically accompanied by their meanings.  Please only select one.  Due to the weekend, the voting period will extend to Midnight (GMT-8) June 3rd. Thanks!

Apache Aseca      - relevant letters in "Application SECurity Api"
Apache AuthentiKi - play on previous 'Ki' name
Apache Boahn      - "security" in Korean (Boahn:보안)
Apache KeyPad     - electronic lock
Apache Narsil     - sword of Kind Elendil,Lord Of The Rings - represents power/protection
Apache Panekana   - "security" in Hawaiian
Apache Security   - Apache security framework, but might have probs w/ apachesecurity.net [3]
Apache Sekuriti   - "security" in Malay
Apache Shiro      - "castle" in Japanese
Apache Sikkert    - "security" in Danish
Apache Tidasi     - variant of Tidasif (see next), easier to pronounce
Apache Tidasif    - the word "Secured" using an offset of one character (s->t, e->i, etc).
Apache Toran      - a gateway, often a monumental approach to a Buddhist temple
Apache XSJ        - relevant letters in "eXtensible Security for Java"

[1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4001:4hnqd9.1.1
[2] http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rSmvjJ9yuJao7_rzldg_SxQ&output=html
[3] http://www.apachesecurity.net/

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Neil Hathaway
Hi,

I like the sound of Toran, it feels serene, yet being powerful.

Neil

--

Neil

Blog : http://nnbs.blogspot.com/

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

kaosko
+ 1 to Shiro (easy to pronounce in most languages)

Kalle (wouldn't mind Keypad either but had to pick one)

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Neil Hathaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Blog : http://nnbs.blogspot.com/

RE: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Bryan Turner-2
Hello, all.

I'm new to the list, but I'll jump in and vote anyway. +1 for Shiro, though I like Aseca too. As a sidenote, I'd bypass XSJ for the same reason JSecurity was initially renamed to Ki--the explicit reference to Java may not be desirable if Ki is ported to other languages, like C#.

Bryan Turner

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Les Hazlewood-2
+1 Apache Aseca

Short, easy to pronounce in multiple languages, very low # of search hits, no software/security related matches.

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail�. See how.

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Les Hazlewood-2
+1 Apache Aseca

Short, easy to pronounce in multiple languages, very low # of search hits, no software/security related matches, no TESS conflicts.

2009/5/29 Bryan Turner <[hidden email]>

Hello, all.

I'm new to the list, but I'll jump in and vote anyway. +1 for Shiro, though I like Aseca too. As a sidenote, I'd bypass XSJ for the same reason JSecurity was initially renamed to Ki--the explicit reference to Java may not be desirable if Ki is ported to other languages, like C#.

Bryan Turner

Blog : http://nnbs.blogspot.com/

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

The reasons were outlined here:  http://www.mail-archive.com/jsecurity-user@.../msg00295.html

Also, there was enough concern by our mentors and others in the Incubator that the name might conflict with a few 3rd party names.

Mostly though, without the 'J' in the name, we can pursue other language support, such as Flex/ActionScript and C# bindings (which someone is working on as we speak).  Fresh start, new name, all that good stuff...

If anyone else has other questions related to this, please start a new thread so we don't derail this vote thread.  Thanks!

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd vote +1 on JSecurity if it was on the list and my vote mattered. I've still never gotten an answer why the change is even necessary. I'm not subscribed to Ki Developers so I won't see a reply if it doesn't come back to incubator general.

Ralph

On May 29, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

[...]

Alan D. Cabrera
> Apache Aseca      - relevant letters in "Application SECurity Api"

Regards,
Alan

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Maarten Bosteels
+1 for Apache Security

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apache Aseca      - relevant letters in "Application SECurity Api"

Regards,
Alan

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Jeremy Haile
+1 Apache Aseca

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Brian Topping

On May 29, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

Apache Shiro      - "castle" in Japanese

Sugoi desu!  (^^)

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

papajdo
+1 Aseca

Craig

On May 29, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:[hidden email]
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Altuğ.

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Erik Beeson
-1 Aseca, it sounds like Maseca (the corn flower), and looks too much like Acegi.
-1 Toran, too close to Torah or Koran (Qur'an) which makes me feel like it's some sort of religious thing.

+1 Shiro, just because it seems like it has the best chance of winning over the above two.

My first pick would be KeyPad, but people don't seem to like that.

--Erik

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sune Lindberg Riedel
+1 for Apache Security (because that’s what it is!)

/Sune

Blog : http://nnbs.blogspot.com/

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - choose your favorite!

Les Hazlewood-2
Hello everyone,

Voting for this period has ended.  Here are the final tallies for all votes (names ordered alphabetically):

Apache Aseca: 8 votes
Apache Security: 3 votes
Apache Shiro: 8 votes
Apache Toran: 3 votes

Because there were less than 5 total names in this vote, there is no need to have a 2nd round vote for the top 5.

The next vote will be the final vote in selecting a name and the choice will be between "Apache Aseca" and "Apache Shiro".

I'll start a new thread for the final name vote shortly.

Les