Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi Apache Community.

It seems as if our recently changed name of Apache Ki is not free from potential naming conflict problems, and we'll need to change our name again.

So, we're reaching out to everyone and anyone who would like to contribute a new name to the suggestion pool.  Here's how the process will work:

1. All new names will be accepted by anyone for 1 week.  Starting now, ending 27 May 2009 Midnight GMT-8.
2. We'll present the compiled list of submitted names in a new email.  Everyone will have 72 hours to vote on their favorite.
3. The top 5 names by vote count will be the finalists.
4. 72 more hours to vote to reduce the list to 2 final names.
5. 1 final 72 hour period to vote on one of these 2 names.  The name that wins by simple majority will be the new project name.

Please ensure any name submission is free and clear to the best of your knowledge from any Trademarks or Patents by performing a search [1].  Also if you can get little or no results in Google and Yahoo, that would be a great candidate too.

Name submission starts NOW.

We look forward to all name suggestions, and we appreciate anyone who wishes to participate!

Thanks so much,

Les Hazlewood
Apache JSecurity/Apache Ki/Apache ??? member

[1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Les Hazlewood-2
Thanks!

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:21 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
PANEKANA - apparently means security in Hawaiian.
No hits in TESS.
Google shows no hits relating to commercial enterprises.

On 19/05/2009, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Apache Community.
>
>  It seems as if our recently changed name of Apache Ki is not free from
>  potential naming conflict problems, and we'll need to change our name again.
>
>  So, we're reaching out to everyone and anyone who would like to contribute a
>  new name to the suggestion pool.  Here's how the process will work:
>
>  1. All new names will be accepted by anyone for 1 week.  Starting now,
>  ending 27 May 2009 Midnight GMT-8.
>  2. We'll present the compiled list of submitted names in a new email.
>  Everyone will have 72 hours to vote on their favorite.
>  3. The top 5 names by vote count will be the finalists.
>  4. 72 more hours to vote to reduce the list to 2 final names.
>  5. 1 final 72 hour period to vote on one of these 2 names.  The name that
>  wins by simple majority will be the new project name.
>
>  Please ensure any name submission is free and clear to the best of your
>  knowledge from any Trademarks or Patents by performing a search [1].  Also
>  if you can get little or no results in Google and Yahoo, that would be a
>  great candidate too.
>
>  Name submission starts NOW.
>
>  We look forward to all name suggestions, and we appreciate anyone who wishes
>  to participate!
>
>  Thanks so much,
>
>  Les Hazlewood
>  Apache JSecurity/Apache Ki/Apache ??? member
>
>  [1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Maarten Bosteels
Hi Les,

Is there an entry in TESS that shows us the potential naming conflict ?
It could help us understand which names are good candidates.

I don't quite understand the problem (IANAL).
My apologies if this has all been discussed before.

As far as I understand,  the name of the project is "Apache Ki" not just "Ki", so I don't see any conflicts.
Same for "Apache JSecurity". I must be missing something here.

All Apache project names I tried, generate several hits on TESS: James, MINA, Cocoon, Maven, Cayenne

Maarten

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:21 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
PANEKANA - apparently means security in Hawaiian.
No hits in TESS.
Google shows no hits relating to commercial enterprises.

On 19/05/2009, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Apache Community.
>
>  It seems as if our recently changed name of Apache Ki is not free from
>  potential naming conflict problems, and we'll need to change our name again.
>
>  So, we're reaching out to everyone and anyone who would like to contribute a
>  new name to the suggestion pool.  Here's how the process will work:
>
>  1. All new names will be accepted by anyone for 1 week.  Starting now,
>  ending 27 May 2009 Midnight GMT-8.
>  2. We'll present the compiled list of submitted names in a new email.
>  Everyone will have 72 hours to vote on their favorite.
>  3. The top 5 names by vote count will be the finalists.
>  4. 72 more hours to vote to reduce the list to 2 final names.
>  5. 1 final 72 hour period to vote on one of these 2 names.  The name that
>  wins by simple majority will be the new project name.
>
>  Please ensure any name submission is free and clear to the best of your
>  knowledge from any Trademarks or Patents by performing a search [1].  Also
>  if you can get little or no results in Google and Yahoo, that would be a
>  great candidate too.
>
>  Name submission starts NOW.
>
>  We look forward to all name suggestions, and we appreciate anyone who wishes
>  to participate!
>
>  Thanks so much,
>
>  Les Hazlewood
>  Apache JSecurity/Apache Ki/Apache ??? member
>
>  [1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi Maarten,

This is a good question.

There is nothing in TESS that shows a potential naming conflict other than a result.  That is, if you execute a search for all active entries, and a result comes up, odds are high that it would not be a good candidate.  Or if you do see a result, be sure it is not software related in any way.

You're right that "Apache Ki" would have been the official name if it stood, but the Incubator seemed to come to a consensus that we should change the name just in case.  They felt it would be best to find a name with no overlap anywhere, just to be safe;  they're trying to limit the possibility of anyone starting legal action contending for a name - they could not afford to deal with that if it ever surfaced.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Maarten Bosteels <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Les,

Is there an entry in TESS that shows us the potential naming conflict ?
It could help us understand which names are good candidates.

I don't quite understand the problem (IANAL).
My apologies if this has all been discussed before.

As far as I understand,  the name of the project is "Apache Ki" not just "Ki", so I don't see any conflicts.
Same for "Apache JSecurity". I must be missing something here.

All Apache project names I tried, generate several hits on TESS: James, MINA, Cocoon, Maven, Cayenne

Maarten

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:21 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
PANEKANA - apparently means security in Hawaiian.
No hits in TESS.
Google shows no hits relating to commercial enterprises.

On 19/05/2009, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Apache Community.
>
>  It seems as if our recently changed name of Apache Ki is not free from
>  potential naming conflict problems, and we'll need to change our name again.
>
>  So, we're reaching out to everyone and anyone who would like to contribute a
>  new name to the suggestion pool.  Here's how the process will work:
>
>  1. All new names will be accepted by anyone for 1 week.  Starting now,
>  ending 27 May 2009 Midnight GMT-8.
>  2. We'll present the compiled list of submitted names in a new email.
>  Everyone will have 72 hours to vote on their favorite.
>  3. The top 5 names by vote count will be the finalists.
>  4. 72 more hours to vote to reduce the list to 2 final names.
>  5. 1 final 72 hour period to vote on one of these 2 names.  The name that
>  wins by simple majority will be the new project name.
>
>  Please ensure any name submission is free and clear to the best of your
>  knowledge from any Trademarks or Patents by performing a search [1].  Also
>  if you can get little or no results in Google and Yahoo, that would be a
>  great candidate too.
>
>  Name submission starts NOW.
>
>  We look forward to all name suggestions, and we appreciate anyone who wishes
>  to participate!
>
>  Thanks so much,
>
>  Les Hazlewood
>  Apache JSecurity/Apache Ki/Apache ??? member
>
>  [1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Les Hazlewood-2
Oh, and as for the other Apache names having results on TESS, that is probably because the names are used in completely different industries or 'domains' - something that is usually ok for overlap.

Or if there is anything that comes along with a similar or same name in the software space, then these Apache projects would probably still be safe as they would be probably identified as "prior art" [1], having a historical record (website, mailing lists) proving they were the first to use it in any recognizable capacity.

IANAL either, but I hope that helps.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior_art

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Maarten,

This is a good question.

There is nothing in TESS that shows a potential naming conflict other than a result.  That is, if you execute a search for all active entries, and a result comes up, odds are high that it would not be a good candidate.  Or if you do see a result, be sure it is not software related in any way.

Hi Les,

What I actually meant is this:
In your original post, you're saying "It seems as if our recently changed name of Apache Ki is not free from potential naming conflict problems"
Where does this info come from ?  Is this info backed by an entry in the TESS database ?  Or an entry in another "intellectual property" database ?

Best regards
Maarten

You're right that "Apache Ki" would have been the official name if it stood, but the Incubator seemed to come to a consensus that we should change the name just in case.  They felt it would be best to find a name with no overlap anywhere, just to be safe;  they're trying to limit the possibility of anyone starting legal action contending for a name - they could not afford to deal with that if it ever surfaced.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Maarten Bosteels <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Les,

Is there an entry in TESS that shows us the potential naming conflict ?
It could help us understand which names are good candidates.

I don't quite understand the problem (IANAL).
My apologies if this has all been discussed before.

As far as I understand,  the name of the project is "Apache Ki" not just "Ki", so I don't see any conflicts.
Same for "Apache JSecurity". I must be missing something here.

All Apache project names I tried, generate several hits on TESS: James, MINA, Cocoon, Maven, Cayenne

Maarten

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:21 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
PANEKANA - apparently means security in Hawaiian.
No hits in TESS.
Google shows no hits relating to commercial enterprises.

On 19/05/2009, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Apache Community.
>
>  It seems as if our recently changed name of Apache Ki is not free from
>  potential naming conflict problems, and we'll need to change our name again.
>
>  So, we're reaching out to everyone and anyone who would like to contribute a
>  new name to the suggestion pool.  Here's how the process will work:
>
>  1. All new names will be accepted by anyone for 1 week.  Starting now,
>  ending 27 May 2009 Midnight GMT-8.
>  2. We'll present the compiled list of submitted names in a new email.
>  Everyone will have 72 hours to vote on their favorite.
>  3. The top 5 names by vote count will be the finalists.
>  4. 72 more hours to vote to reduce the list to 2 final names.
>  5. 1 final 72 hour period to vote on one of these 2 names.  The name that
>  wins by simple majority will be the new project name.
>
>  Please ensure any name submission is free and clear to the best of your
>  knowledge from any Trademarks or Patents by performing a search [1].  Also
>  if you can get little or no results in Google and Yahoo, that would be a
>  great candidate too.
>
>  Name submission starts NOW.
>
>  We look forward to all name suggestions, and we appreciate anyone who wishes
>  to participate!
>
>  Thanks so much,
>
>  Les Hazlewood
>  Apache JSecurity/Apache Ki/Apache ??? member
>
>  [1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Jasper Siepkes
Hi All,

Regarding the name Tess; I know that the automated assistant of Ziggo
(largest cable provider here in the Netherlands) is called Tess. Not
really in the same field, it is software however.

Kind regards,

Jasper

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 22:18 +0200, Maarten Bosteels wrote:

> [...]
>                                 >  great candidate too.
>                                 >
>                                 >  Name submission starts NOW.
>                                 >
>                                 >  We look forward to all name
>                                 suggestions, and we appreciate anyone
>                                 who wishes
>                                 >  to participate!
>                                 >
>                                 >  Thanks so much,
>                                 >
>                                 >  Les Hazlewood
>                                 >  Apache JSecurity/Apache
>                                 Ki/Apache ??? member
>                                 >
>                                 >  [1]
>                                 http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1
>                                 >

>                                 [hidden email]
>                                 For additional commands, e-mail:
>                                 [hidden email]

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Hi Jasper,

There might be some confusion here - TESS is not a suggested name for the project - it is the name of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's search engine: http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Jasper Siepkes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>                                 >  great candidate too.
>                                 >
>                                 >  Name submission starts NOW.
>                                 >
>                                 >  We look forward to all name
>                                 suggestions, and we appreciate anyone
>                                 who wishes
>                                 >  to participate!
>                                 >
>                                 >  Thanks so much,
>                                 >
>                                 >  Les Hazlewood
>                                 >  Apache JSecurity/Apache
>                                 Ki/Apache ??? member
>                                 >
>                                 >  [1]
>                                 http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1
>                                 >

>                                 [hidden email]
>                                 For additional commands, e-mail:
>                                 [hidden email]

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

It started based on this post:  http://www.jsecurity.org/node/1081#comment-289

This apparently was enough for the Incubator to be concerned, hence this new renaming effort.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Maarten Bosteels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>  4. 72 more hours to vote to reduce the list to 2 final names.
>  5. 1 final 72 hour period to vote on one of these 2 names.  The name that
>  wins by simple majority will be the new project name.
>
>  Please ensure any name submission is free and clear to the best of your
>  knowledge from any Trademarks or Patents by performing a search [1].  Also
>  if you can get little or no results in Google and Yahoo, that would be a
>  great candidate too.
>
>  Name submission starts NOW.
>
>  We look forward to all name suggestions, and we appreciate anyone who wishes
>  to participate!
>
>  Thanks so much,
>
>  Les Hazlewood
>  Apache JSecurity/Apache Ki/Apache ??? member
>
>  [1] http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Sorry my bad hadn't noticed that; That would really be funny, trying to
register a name used by the trademark office itself :-)

Another thing that crossed my mind is that you could also name it after
yourself; Since it is your name, anyone will have a hard time claiming a
IP infringement. Like the Mike Rowe case for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_v._MikeRoweSoft

I don't know if Apache would like such a naming scheme though.

Kind regards,

Jasper

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 16:52 -0400, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> [...]
>         >                                 >  4. 72 more hours to vote
>         to reduce
>         >                                 the list to 2 final names.
>         >                                 >  5. 1 final 72 hour period
>         to vote
>         >                                 on one of these 2 names.
>          The name
>         >                                 that
>         >                                 >  wins by simple majority
>         will be the
>         >                                 new project name.
>         >                                 >
>         >                                 >  Please ensure any name
>         submission
>         >                                 is free and clear to the
>         best of your
>         >                                 >  knowledge from any
>         Trademarks or
>         >                                 Patents by performing a
>         search [1].
>         >                                  Also
>         >                                 >  if you can get little or
>         no results
>         >                                 in Google and Yahoo, that
>         would be a
>         >                                 >  great candidate too.
>         >                                 >
>         >                                 >  Name submission starts
>         NOW.
>         >                                 >
>         >                                 >  We look forward to all
>         name
>         >                                 suggestions, and we
>         appreciate anyone
>         >                                 who wishes
>         >                                 >  to participate!
>         >                                 >
>         >                                 >  Thanks so much,
>         >                                 >
>         >                                 >  Les Hazlewood
>         >                                 >  Apache JSecurity/Apache
>         >                                 Ki/Apache ??? member
>         >                                 >
>         >                                 >  [1]
>         >
>         http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4002:3c9s6h.1.1
>         >                                 >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         [hidden email]
>         >                                 For additional commands,
>         e-mail:
>         >
>         [hidden email]
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

I'll throw mine into the mix:

Apache Shiro

Shiro is the Japanese word for castle (城)

No relevant hits in TESS.  Many results for 'shiro' in Google, but no relevant results related to security.

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Edward J. Yoon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apache Boahn

It (Boahn:보안) means a 'security' in Korean, and a druid name in WarCraft. ;)

http://blog.udanax.org

Re: Apache JSecurity/Ki rename - please submit suggestions!

Maarten Bosteels

I just read http://markmail.org/message/kpk4x2bre4r4o2za
and my conclusion is that it's really absurd that the project is going to change its name.

In that thread, most people expressed preference to keep the name "JSecurity"
and as far as I could see there never came a clear, decisive answer from the ASF legal team.
Or is the reply by Marc Poussin considered decisive and authoritative ?
Or maybe there's another thread that I missed ?

Both this thread and the one from last year are full of assumptions on legal matters made by people that I assume are not lawyers. (I am probably guilty of it myself)

I don't think it's a smart way to handle this issue.
Will this discussion start again and again every time someone posts a blog comment saying they have been using name xxx in their company ?

regards,
Maarten

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Chintana Wilamuna <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Les Hazlewood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We look forward to all name suggestions, and we appreciate anyone who wishes
> to participate!

Apache Narsil

Narsil is the sword of Kind Elendil in Lord Of The Rings. Which acts
as a symbol of great power and protection in the hands of who's
carrying it.

Bye,

   -Chintana

--