Help needed with Apache ki + rmi + hibernate

Help needed with Apache ki + rmi + hibernate

abxide
I'm trying to use apache ki for authorization and authentication for my non web application based on RMI and hibernate and delcarative permisisions. I'm new to this, i gave a look to the samples, but i'm looking for something that doesn't use spring, would be nice receive some hints about it.

Re: Help needed with Apache ki + rmi + hibernate

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi Abxide,

What are you using for RMI?  Is it just raw RMI or are you using a framework to simplify the remoting infrastructure?

Also, our current out-of-the-box support for a security annotations relies on AOPAlliance constructs, which often implies a Spring environment.  Of course Shiro can work in any environment, but we'd need some sort of AOP framework to support annotations if we won't use Spring's AOPAlliance advice.  What are you currently using, and if not using anything, would you be ok with using an AspectJ-based solution for annotations?

- Les

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:27 AM, abxide <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm trying to use apache ki for authorization and authentication for my non
web application based on RMI and hibernate and delcarative permisisions. I'm
new to this, i gave a look to the samples, but i'm looking for something
that doesn't use spring, would be nice receive some hints about it.

Re: Help needed with Apache ki + rmi + hibernate

abxide
Thanks for your quickly answer,
i'm using a raw RMI structure, when you talk about annotations do you mean at apache ki system requirements or for example at the possibility to use annotations for authorization?
In the second case, i think i can avoid the use of AOP simply using the programmatically approach.
In the first case, if there aren't alternative solutions, i think using an aspect-j solution could be a good compromise.

Les Hazlewood-2 wrote

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:27 AM, abxide <abxide@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use apache ki for authorization and authentication for my non
> web application based on RMI and hibernate and delcarative permisisions.
> I'm
> new to this, i gave a look to the samples, but i'm looking for something
> that doesn't use spring, would be nice receive some hints about it.

Re: Help needed with Apache ki + rmi + hibernate

Les Hazlewood-2
You can definitely use the programmatic approach - that is the most straightforward approach, but requires you to code.  The Annotations enabled by AOP are merely there as a convenience so you don't have to code security checks.

But for authentication, you'll probably need to use the programmatic API directly, e.g.

SecurityUtils.getSubject().login(new UsernamePasswordToken(username, password));

We currently don't have a sample application that uses raw RMI APIs to talk to a remote security manager, but it wouldn't be too hard to set up.  Please add a Jira issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO) to allow us to add that.

In the meantime you can acquire the remote SecurityManager via a RMI lookup and call SecurityUtils.setSecurityManager(remoteSecurityManager).  That should be enough to get you going, but note that that call should only ever be called if you want a SecurityManager to be used for the entire JVM (See the JavaDoc on that method for more).