Is there an established public-intent API?

Is there an established public-intent API?

PSRhomberg
Hello all!

  Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but does Shiro have any definition
of the intended public API, or is the entire library positioned to be
understood and consumed as needed?  I have seen in a couple (admittedly old)
threads [1] [2], as well as mentioned in response to a recent opened [3]
mentioning that some classes and methods are meant as internal helpers
rather than part of the public API.
  The Shiro "API" link [4] appears to just be the auto-generated javadoc
representation and includes those methods and classes mentioned as
"internal."  Conversely, the Detailed Architecture [5] seems like it could
represent the intended public API, but I am concerned that it isn't
comprehensive.
  I am admittedly new to examining the Shiro, having only experience
consuming an existing implementation.  I would like, as much as possible, to
go down the recommended path rather than the possibly sub-optimal
implementation I have as a reference.
  Thank you!

Imagination is Change.
~ Patrick Rhomberg.

[1] ThreadContext deemed internal (in 2009) :

http://shiro-user.582556.n2.nabble.com/ThreadContext-vs-SecurityUtils-td2559619.html#a2559652
[2] PasswordService.encryptPassword mentioned as possibly internal (in 2013)
:

http://shiro-user.582556.n2.nabble.com/Shiro-Spring-integration-PasswordService-td7578244.html#a7578248
[3] Subject.login() suggested as not part of the common usecase in recent
SHIRO-648 :
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-648
[4] Shiro API link from Docs page :
 http://shiro.apache.org/static/1.3.2/apidocs/
[5] Shiro Docs > Reference Manual > Overview > Architecture > Detailed
Architecture :
 https://shiro.apache.org/architecture.html#detailed-architecture

Re: Is there an established public-intent API?

Brian Demers
No, the project doesn't differentiate between consumer and provider in terms of the API and its version.

That said, a lot of uses cases don't require any code, just configuration.

What type of application are you building?

And of course, there is this ;) https://xkcd.com/1172/