Is there an irc channel for Shiro?

kaosko
It's very typical for open source projects to have a regular IRC
channel - does one exist for Shiro? Couldn't not find anything from
mailing archives or googling either for jsecurity, ki or Shiro.

Kalle

Re: Is there an irc channel for Shiro?

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi Kalle,

We've never used IRC for the project before, so I don't believe it exists.

But even if this existed, I don't know that I (personally) would be too enthusiastic about using such a thing.  I'm fairly certain that IRC ports are not enabled at my work network for one so I couldn't be of much help, but more important, any asked-and-answered questions in an IRC chat room wouldn't be searchable on the 'net - unless there is some service that performs archival for IRC somewhere.

So any knowledged dissemminated or gained would be lost to anyone not in the chat room.  I personally prefer to use archived mailing lists because when people have a problem, they can use Google and come across previous discussions that could help them, saving everyone time by not having to answer the same questions over again.

That's just my personal preference for my own usage - I have no opinion as to whether or not the community sets one up.

Kalle

Re: Is there an irc channel for Shiro?

kaosko
Ok. Typically the developers of a project, not the users, find it more
useful to have an IRC channel. There are often design discussions and
implementation questions where a simple yes/no answer won't suffice
and when real-time communication is a faster and more effective media
to make progress than back and forth posts on a mailing list. Getting
the irc discussion archived is a technical problem that is already
solved many a times, for example with http://www.jibble.org/logbot/.
Obviously if the core developers don't see a need for IRC channel it's
not likely it would be used by anybody else either - that's ok,
different working models suit for different projects.

Kalle

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Les Hazlewood<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Kalle,
>
> We've never used IRC for the project before, so I don't believe it exists.
>
> But even if this existed, I don't know that I (personally) would be too
> enthusiastic about using such a thing.  I'm fairly certain that IRC ports
> are not enabled at my work network for one so I couldn't be of much help,
> but more important, any asked-and-answered questions in an IRC chat room
> wouldn't be searchable on the 'net - unless there is some service that
> performs archival for IRC somewhere.
>
> So any knowledged dissemminated or gained would be lost to anyone not in the
> chat room.  I personally prefer to use archived mailing lists because when
> people have a problem, they can use Google and come across previous
> discussions that could help them, saving everyone time by not having to
> answer the same questions over again.
>
> That's just my personal preference for my own usage - I have no opinion as
> to whether or not the community sets one up.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Les
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Kalle Korhonen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> It's very typical for open source projects to have a regular IRC
>> channel - does one exist for Shiro? Couldn't not find anything from
>> mailing archives or googling either for jsecurity, ki or Shiro.
>>
>> Kalle

Re: Is there an irc channel for Shiro?

Les Hazlewood-2
Ah, gotcha - I was thinking from the user perspective.  I agree it could have value as a developer tool if others would use it, sure.