Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Bart van Leeuwen
Hi all,

this might be a RTFM related remark or me missing the concepts,
One of the issues I've always been struggling with is the use of in LDAP terms 'Common Names'
I'm able to use LDAP to authenticate and authorize a user, but I can't get a common name to use in UI's or data recording.

Which results in accessing LDAP myself to get these details which almost defies the use of Shiro

Otherwise I love the library!

Met Vriendelijke Groet / With Kind Regards
Bart van Leeuwen

twitter: @semanticfire

tel. +31(0)6-53182997
Netage B.V.
http://netage.nl
Esdoornstraat 3
3461ER Linschoten
The Netherlands

From:        Francois Papon <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Cc:        [hidden email]
Date:        04-04-2020 14:29
Subject:        [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Hi,

I would like to start a thread about the next major release: 2.0.0.
I think we should move forward on it and only fix bug on the 1.x branches.

There is always some issues related to the version in Jira:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SHIRO/versions/12315455

We can move also the issues list from the 1.6.0 to the 2.0.0:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SHIRO/versions/12346916

I noticed an existing branch about api changes on github:

https://github.com/apache/shiro/tree/2.0-api-design-changes

I propose to update master to 2.0.0-SNAPHOT and create a 1.5.x branch (from tag shiro-root-1.5.2) for maintenance.

Because of some api break, package refactor, deprecated modules or components, we also should start a migration guide in the website.

It's also time for anyone to bring some ideas about the next Shiro features/improvements, feel free to share :)

We could start a formal vote to validate the plan.

Feedback are welcome!

regards,

--
François
fpapon@...

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Brian Demers
Great point, often a realm would have access to this information from the same query when authenticating.
Shiro wouldn't be able to replace a general user details store, but we should think about making it easier to expose it out of the box (without implementing a custom realm and principal type)

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 1:52 PM Bart van Leeuwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

this might be a RTFM related remark or me missing the concepts,
One of the issues I've always been struggling with is the use of in LDAP terms 'Common Names'
I'm able to use LDAP to authenticate and authorize a user, but I can't get a common name to use in UI's or data recording.

Which results in accessing LDAP myself to get these details which almost defies the use of Shiro

Otherwise I love the library!

Met Vriendelijke Groet / With Kind Regards
Bart van Leeuwen

twitter: @semanticfire

tel. +31(0)6-53182997
Netage B.V.
http://netage.nl
Esdoornstraat 3
3461ER Linschoten
The Netherlands

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

armandoxxx
I'm not sure that I completly understand this ..

but all user details can be put into Subject in realm and everything can be
taken out later on from that subject (this is what we do) ...
Would like to understand more about this if you could explain it. Thank you
!

Regards

Armadno

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Brian Demers
Armadno,

I'm saying you could get access to a set of common data for a given user, which is fine for many apps, but it doesn't replace an application-specific user store for other use cases (for example complex user preferences).

Shiro could make it easier to associate arbitrary attributes (or a user type) to help with these use cases.  Maybe something like `Subject.getAttribute("givenName")`

Thoughts?