Quantcast

Shiro and Node.JS?

Jean Barmash 1
Hello,

I am thinking of using Shiro with Node.js (most likely with Express).  Still evaluating whether to use Shiro through some kind of java bridge on the same server, or possibly wrap Shiro as a separate authorization service that Node will make calls to over HTTP.

Wondering if anybody has attempted any integrations between Shiro and Node.js.

Thanks,

Jean

Re: Shiro and Node.JS?

Tauren Mills
Jean,

What is the reasoning behind making Shiro work with node.js? Do you have an existing java app that uses Shiro that you need to integrate with?

If not, there are probably much simpler and lightweight solutions. I personally think it would be awesome to take Shiro concepts and implement it in Javascript.

I had a conversation with Les a while back about Shiro and node and I seem to recall that he was considering implementations in other languages. It sounded more like a long-term goal than anything available soon.

There are some security tools for node that you could evaluate or utilize for inspiration. Below is a list of security-related node.js resources I've been tracking. I haven't yet used any of them, so can't give any advice on which tools are better.

I'm interested in security and node, so please follow up with any conclusions you come to.

Thanks,
Tauren

----

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Jean Barmash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am thinking of using Shiro with Node.js (most likely with Express).  Still evaluating whether to use Shiro through some kind of java bridge on the same server, or possibly wrap Shiro as a separate authorization service that Node will make calls to over HTTP.

Wondering if anybody has attempted any integrations between Shiro and Node.js.

Thanks,

Jean

Re: Shiro and Node.JS?

Jean Barmash 1
> What is the reasoning behind making Shiro work with node.js? Do you have an existing java app that uses Shiro that you need to integrate with?

I don't have a Java app with Shiro.  Shiro is very strong on authorization front, and I don't quite see anything great for authorization for node.js.   It can handle things like instance-level authorization, not sure if other frameworks for node can do that.  Also, there are nice modules that provide persistence and UI for Shiro very easily (i.e. Shiro plugin and Nimble plugin for Grails give me out of the box administration solution).

> If not, there are probably much simpler and lightweight solutions. I personally think it would be awesome to take Shiro concepts and implement it in Javascript.
I agree - it would be great to implement Shiro in JavaScript.

Thank you for your list of resources.  I've seem passport and everyauth, but not guard.js - seems interesting, even if it's marked alpha.

I wrote another email to the list about using Shiro as an remote authorization service - thinking my ideal would be to have a centralized server where I can manage authorizations for multiple applications (i.e. UI / Persistence of the authorization rules), and then have a JavaScript Shiro node.js module that can make calls into the centralized server (i.e. access its db directly).  This way I have the centralized administration flexibility, but without losing performance by making authorization requests over http

Jean