jsecurity under jdk14

Csaba Nemeth
Hello,

I am testing jsecurity for a project that is based on jdk14.
I was happy to see while the code is jdk15, it uses retroweaver for earlier jdks.

The only problem I found is that while the classes are jdk14 compatible, the api used is not.

For example, running a simple example under jdk14 uses the TextConfigurationRealm - which uses the java.util.Scanner - java 1.5 api.

Are there any plans on using 1.4 api only?
Is it still the plan that jsecurity is going to work under 1.4 and 1.3?

Thank you,
Csaba

Re: jsecurity under jdk14

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi Csaba,

We haven't discussed really about 1.3 and 1.4 capability.  In fact, although I'm afraid you won't be happy about this, I was going to ask the rest of the JSecurity dev team if we should only focus on 1.5+ from now on.

1.5 already begun its end-of-life phase a while ago and 1.3 and 1.4 are already decommissioned by Sun.  I don't know that it would be worth our effort to continually check for 1.3/1.4 compatibility when probably 99% of our uses are 1.5+.

My estimation could be incorrect of course.  I'm open to feedback from others if we should continue to support 1.4 and below...

If you are able to identify what parts of the API fail, then maybe we might be able to revert some code to be compatible.  But I don't know if it would be worth it or not when there is already a lot of work to be done for JSecurity 1.0 :/

Thanks for the feedback.  How do others feel?

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Csaba Nemeth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am testing jsecurity for a project that is based on jdk14.
I was happy to see while the code is jdk15, it uses retroweaver for earlier jdks.

The only problem I found is that while the classes are jdk14 compatible, the api used is not.

For example, running a simple example under jdk14 uses the TextConfigurationRealm - which uses the java.util.Scanner - java 1.5 api.

Are there any plans on using 1.4 api only?
Is it still the plan that jsecurity is going to work under 1.4 and 1.3?

Thank you,
Csaba

Re: jsecurity under jdk14

Csaba Nemeth
Hi,

well alright, it is too bad as jsecurity looks very good so far.

Unfortunately some companies are still using older servers and they still need changes, enhancements to existing applications.

Seems like I have to look into other options.
Any suggestions for 1.4?

Thanks,
Csaba

> We haven't discussed really about 1.3 and 1.4
> capability.  In fact, although
> I'm afraid you won't be happy about this, I was
> going to ask the rest of the
> JSecurity dev team if we should only focus on 1.5+ from now
> on.
>
> 1.5 already begun its end-of-life phase a while ago and 1.3
> and 1.4 are
> already decommissioned by Sun.  I don't know that it
> would be worth our
> effort to continually check for 1.3/1.4 compatibility when
> probably 99% of
> our uses are 1.5+.
>
> My estimation could be incorrect of course.  I'm open
> to feedback from
> others if we should continue to support 1.4 and below...
>
> If you are able to identify what parts of the API fail,
> then maybe we might
> be able to revert some code to be compatible.  But I
> don't know if it would
> be worth it or not when there is already a lot of work to
> be done for
> JSecurity 1.0 :/
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  How do others feel?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Les
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Csaba Nemeth
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am testing jsecurity for a project that is based on
> jdk14.
> > I was happy to see while the code is jdk15, it uses
> retroweaver for earlier
> > jdks.
> >
> > The only problem I found is that while the classes are
> jdk14 compatible,
> > the api used is not.
> >
> > For example, running a simple example under jdk14 uses
> the
> > TextConfigurationRealm - which uses the
> java.util.Scanner - java 1.5 api.
> >
> > Are there any plans on using 1.4 api only?
> > Is it still the plan that jsecurity is going to work
> under 1.4 and 1.3?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Csaba

> > Instant Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and
> more... Try the new Yahoo!
> > Canada Messenger at
> http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/

Re: jsecurity under jdk14

Les Hazlewood-2
Hi Csaba,

For now, we still do support 1.3 and 1.4.  We haven't as a team made the decision to leave them behind, so they are still supposed to be supported.

So, if you find something that needs to be fixed to ensure it works with RetroWeaver and 1.4, please open a Jira issue so it is identified.  If we can fix it, we will :)

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Csaba Nemeth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

well alright, it is too bad as jsecurity looks very good so far.

Unfortunately some companies are still using older servers and they still need changes, enhancements to existing applications.

Seems like I have to look into other options.
Any suggestions for 1.4?

Thanks,
Csaba

> We haven't discussed really about 1.3 and 1.4
> capability.  In fact, although
> I'm afraid you won't be happy about this, I was
> going to ask the rest of the
> JSecurity dev team if we should only focus on 1.5+ from now
> on.
>
> 1.5 already begun its end-of-life phase a while ago and 1.3
> and 1.4 are
> already decommissioned by Sun.  I don't know that it
> would be worth our
> effort to continually check for 1.3/1.4 compatibility when
> probably 99% of
> our uses are 1.5+.
>
> My estimation could be incorrect of course.  I'm open
> to feedback from
> others if we should continue to support 1.4 and below...
>
> If you are able to identify what parts of the API fail,
> then maybe we might
> be able to revert some code to be compatible.  But I
> don't know if it would
> be worth it or not when there is already a lot of work to
> be done for
> JSecurity 1.0 :/
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  How do others feel?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Les
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Csaba Nemeth
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am testing jsecurity for a project that is based on
> jdk14.
> > I was happy to see while the code is jdk15, it uses
> retroweaver for earlier
> > jdks.
> >
> > The only problem I found is that while the classes are
> jdk14 compatible,
> > the api used is not.
> >
> > For example, running a simple example under jdk14 uses
> the
> > TextConfigurationRealm - which uses the
> java.util.Scanner - java 1.5 api.
> >
> > Are there any plans on using 1.4 api only?
> > Is it still the plan that jsecurity is going to work
> under 1.4 and 1.3?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Csaba

> > Instant Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and
> more... Try the new Yahoo!
> > Canada Messenger at
> http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/

Re: jsecurity under jdk14

Csaba Nemeth
I quickly tested the sample web application under tomcat 5.0.30 and java 1.4.2.

I had to make the following changes:

The configuration classes use 1.5 api class - java.util.Scanner, I had to eliminate the use of this class.

The default cache manager - based on hashtable - didn't seem to work under 1.4 - while it works fine under 1.6 - I configured the application to use EhCache.

The sample web application worked as expected after these changes.

I go ahead and raise a JIRA issue for the configuration classes that need to be changed in order to get it working under 1.4

Les Hazlewood-2 wrote

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Csaba Nemeth <csaba_nemeth@yahoo.ca>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> well alright, it is too bad as jsecurity looks very good so far.
>
> Unfortunately some companies are still using older servers and they still
> need changes, enhancements to existing applications.
>
> Seems like I have to look into other options.
> Any suggestions for 1.4?
>
> Thanks,
> Csaba

Sounds good - thanks!